Thursday 24 December 2020

My Year 2020 - Pandemic and me



The year 2020 is coming to an end. What a year it has been. It has been unpredictable and difficult year. I did go through my anxious moments and ups and downs with my feelings but it was also the year I tried new things, because - well, I had to. 

At the beginning of the year I enjoyed going to few meet ups and meeting new people. I made new friends and was full of hope for doing more of these this year.

In March 2020, the UK went into the first lockdown due to coronavirus pandemic.

At first I was overwhelmed by sad news - how it's taken everyone's normal away, and upset by empty shelves in supermarkets and anxious people on the street, I became anxious myself. Apart from the NHS and key workers, everyone had to pause what we were doing and was told to stay at home and safe. In few weeks I stopped watching news - to avoid the unsettling news around the world.

My industry isn't considered essential but I am really grateful for those who work in art and creative industry. I have to say though when I was feeling down, our industry was the one helped me out from the down. National Theatre's weekly play helped me, music I listened to helped me, all the creatives and illustrators came up with such thoughtful and creative encouraging arts to cheer everyone up. Everyone was so caring and just wanted to help - that was just NICE!

Despite the loss of potential event-related jobs in the spring, I am also grateful that I had a couple of regular jobs this year, which is really rare for me. I usually don't know when the next job comes in. These jobs kept me sane.

Then came August I was miserable again. I was so much under pressure with everything. It had been so long since I met anybody. ( I live with my husband and we had great laugh together but it is still not quite the same as when I was able to see people outside.)  I realized how my thoughts were getting inwards with loops of negative thoughts and I was telling myself "I am not good enough"all the time.

I took a break from work and this time nature helped me out from the depression. 
I went away on beautiful country walks completely free from TV and social media. I felt completely re-born!  

I also tried participating in online markets. These were new for me but since there weren't any physical markets I gave it a go. Promoting on Instagram was hard - I still think I'm terrible at it but hey, I tried something new and learned few things doing it.

These illustrations summarize my 2020. My lockdown house map and my anxious mind. 

Wishing you all a happy and brighter 2021! :)




  
2020年は本当に想像もしない1年となった。
1月、2月とmeet upに積極的に参加するようになって、新しい方々との出会い、新しい友人との出会い、これからも社交的な一年になりそうだと期待していた矢先、3月にはイギリスはロックダウンに入ってしまった。それからは本当に長い5、6ヶ月。

ロックダウンに入ってからは、映画館、劇場、レストラン、パブ、カフェ、美術館、博物館、小売店が一気に営業停止となってしまい、ニュースでは日に日に感染者数や死者の数が増え続け、病院などで医療崩壊が騒がれた。

美大生時代に同級生の一人が、「うちらの職種は、危機に陥った際に一番に切られちゃう職種だよ。」と話していたのを思い出した。3月あたりからイベント関連の仕事は全てキャンセルか、無期限の延期となってしまった。

3月〜5月は本当に暗いニュースばかりで、外へ買い出しに行く際も、一部のパニック買いのせいでスーパーの棚は空っぽ。食料を買うのも一時期は大変だった。

毎日暗いニュースの中、心が沈んでしまっているときに助けてくれたのは、自分が身を置いている業界だったと思う。演劇を発表する場を失ったイギリスの劇場National Theatreは、オンラインで過去の劇の無料公開をして、その演劇を観て私は演技の凄さに 感動したり、セットやコスチュームなどにもインスピレーションを受けた。そして、音楽もたくさん聞いた。好きなバンドが一早く落ち込んでいる皆に心強いメッセージを届けてくれたり、インスタグラムのイラストレーター達も医療関係者に向けてエールを送るイラストをいくつも上げていた。
最初のロックダウンは、クリエイティブなアートや文化に心を救われた気がする。

また8月になって押し寄せてきた気分の浮き沈み、今度は自然に救われた。ロックダウンが解除になり、少し田舎へ足を伸ばそうとバタバタはしていたものの、5日ほど休みを取ることにした。大自然に身を置き、人間は自然と切り離されては生きていけないものなのかもと実感し、本当に心も身体も救われた旅となった。

インスタを利用してのオンラインマーケットも初めて挑戦することばかりで、あまり表立って顔出したりカメラの前で話すのも得意ではないので、うまくいったとは言えないのだけれど、沢山のことを学んだ気がします。

イラストは、2020年の自分の生活を記録したもの。振り返るとあっという間に過ぎてしまった2020年だけど、今ここにいること、今年を乗り越えられたことや家族や友人とオンラインで話して繋がっていられたこと、全てに感謝します。

2021年は少しでも皆様にとって明るい一年となりますように!


No comments: